Tuesday 3 February 2015

Satis and Gothic House

A few days ago I went out into my hometown Charlbury. The town itself is so old and famous in the Cotswold area. It has a river which runs through, a community, a neighbourhood feel and plenty of pubs, churches, old properties and buildings. Many of these houses were built in the 1800's so I thought it would be a good idea to go and study the architecture of these houses and cottages.


The Bell Hotel reminded me of Satis house. The creepy trees and plants that grow on it looking almost rotten. All of the images are cotswold stone, I picture Satis house to have Cotswold stone as it has a grand feel to the mansion. This is also a quote which makes Cotswold stone easily imaginable as the type of material used for the outside of the house: "Within a quarter of an hour we came to Miss Havisham's House, which was of old brick, and dismal." -Cotswold stone reminds me of an old stone which can be easily abandoned with plants growing and intwining around the brick.

"...The first thing I noticed was, that the passages were all dark, and that she had left a candle burning there. [Estella] took it up, and we went through more passages and up a staircase, and still it was all dark, and only the candle lighted us (55)." (Dickens) 1860



Next I decided to visit 'Gothic House' this house has sentimental 'gothic' feels and the house is known for its mysterious ghostly stories from the past. 


The house is a grand layout which looks huge from the outside. The property unlike Satis is well kept immaculately. I found this interesting as it reminded me of maybe somewhere Miss. Havisham would've had if she wasn't jilted at the alter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment