Tuesday 3 February 2015

Gothic Grave Yard

I visited the Charlbury church and the Charlbury cemetery for primary research to get an understanding of how Pip felt to ponder through these sights on his own. In one passage of the novel Pip was described as being tipped upside down. "The man, after a looking at me for a moment, turned me upside down, and emptied my pockets." (Dickens) 1860. To feel the motion of being a small child tipped upside down reminded me of having a vision of everything moving at once. I've captured these photos to show how Pip may have visioned the grave yard whilst being tipped upside down.

Charlbury Church:




 The Bell Hotel housing entrance:


I saw the spooky enterance which kind of resembled the start of Satis house to me. The house had gates which lead to a dark house, this image triggered these thoughts to me.


This is another entereance which reminded me of the lead up to Satis house as Pip was on a horse and carriage up to the house.

Charlbury Cemetery:




The spookiness of black and white makes me picture a dark, gloomy feel in these images, very much how Pip was feeling at the time. I hope to do more primary research to help with my project and the characters. 



No comments:

Post a Comment