Sunday 22 March 2015

The Importance Of Continuity In Film, TV and Theatre

I have understanding of continuity and its importance in TV & Film industry. In my look I hope to fulfil these skills. In my Miss Haversham design I have clearly stated which products I will be using on the facechart. I think a facechart is essential for this kind of task as it gives a translated outline of where you will be placing these products onto the skin. I enjoyed creating the character of Miss Haversham and felt the task was a great idea for us to practice these looks onto the skin. In my design I have chosen to use theatrical ageing as a way of giving Miss Haversham an old look. To keep continuity within my design I have practiced the look a few times to get it to where I want it to be. The first layer uses skin base by Illimasqua which is a white pale foundation, this is to be placed on with the same brush each time I do the look to give the product the same look. I used a foundation brush for this and blended and buffed it out with this on the forehead, tops of the cheekbones, nose,  chin and mouth area. To continue to this I then added the ageing lines in the face with supra colour. I use a small angled thin brush to do this each time and get my model to scrunch up their face accordingly to how I want the ageing lines to be. I hope to make these lines very thin but not too light, just the right amount of product to be visible as my look is for TV. I then blended the lines into the skin a little to give a more natural effect. I looked at photos of my previous work and my facechart to try and get the exact product placement on the skin. For the eyes I used supracolour, I tried each time to mix in the sam reddish/yellow colour for the bruised tired looking eyes. I made sure that my design would show the same shape for this each week for our assessment. I then used powder to make the skin look dry and flakey especially the nose. I used MAC shine over the top of the makeup I did on the eyes and tried to place it in the same area as I did the week before.


In terms of hair and styling I kept it simple so it would be easily created again. The plait I used was a hair extension piece which helped me to have a similar plat the next week as I had the same amount of hair both weeks in this plait.
In film and TV the show needs to flow and show that if its the same scene but a different day on set it needs to show the exact same costume, makeup and hair. If it has any slight differences or something e.g. is on the wrong side of the hair, the audience will notice. It's a very important factor of film to make sure that this will be exact to the time it was last cut on a scene. The idea is to make the transition as swift as possible.

I have enjoyed undertaking the task of using continuity as I feel I have been able to strengthen this talent. You have to be a lot more careful of the way you apply the makeup and where you're placing the make up and hair. I hope that my Miss Haversham looks are very similar when they come out in the photos. I was pleased with how organised I was as I used a stage by stage detailed plan of how to apply the makeup.

No comments:

Post a Comment